• Fringe Benefit Charters offers world class fishing for all five species of Pacific Salmon, Monster Halibut, Delicious Rockfish, and Big Lingcod. Born and raised in Homer to a fishing family, Captain Ben has been guiding the waters of Lower Cook Inlet and the Gulf of Alaska since 2007. He is a knowledgable and passionate guide who will go the extra mile to make his clients feel safe and comfortable, while pursuing the catch of a lifetime. In January of 2019 we bought a new boat for the upcoming season. A 33' Bounty Motor Yacht named the West Cape. It is much larger and faster than our old vessel. With twin 370hp diesel engines and a cruise speed of 24-32 knots. This new boat is a great way to show our appreciation for our longtime repeat clientele and our new ones.
Our peak fishing season is May through September, with thebest halibut biting in June July and August. During the winter months Kachemak Bay hosts a unique king salmon fishery and Captain Ben is happy to get folks out fish
• We founded the Naknek River Camp on the basic premise that Alaska was just too amazing to be kept as a playground for the rich. We set out to create Alaska's Affordable Alternative, featuring 10 comfortable cabins located within Katmai National Park, at the outlet of Naknek Lake. This unique location offers quick access to both the Naknek River with its prolific runs of salmon and trophy rainbow trout and to the wadeable wilderness streams that feed into the incredibly beautiful Naknek Lake."
• The food, the fishing, the beauty of it all is overwhelming. Had some Halibut and Black Bass last night, and couldn't decide which was our favorite, it was all OUTSTANDING!! Thank you for making our Alaska adventure wonderful.
• From June through September as many as a quarter of the world's wild salmon return to the Bristol Bay region to spawn. The Becharof
Lake drainages receives a vast percentage of them. Besides all five species of salmon, Kings, Sockeye, Chums, Pinks and Coho, incalculable
numbers of Rainbow trout, Dolly Varden, Artic Char, Graying and Lake Trout turn up to prey on the eggs and smolt. It is the fishing equivalent of
the Serengeti plains in Africa.
Due to the remote local our trips are a week in length and usually run from Saturday to Saturday. The majority of our fishing guests are
repeat clients who book a year in advance but we usually have a few weeks available until early spring.
• The Nushagak is the largest run of wild Kings in the world. With annual runs reaching up to 200,000. This is a great opportunity to catch lots of kings. Past anglers have caught in excess of 50 kings a day! Average fish weigh in at 10-55 lbs.
The months of June and July are the best time to fish. We fish out of one of the very few private lodges on the river which is located about 3 miles away from other fishermen. This gives our clients a great opportunity to catch fish and relax in a true wilderness atmosphere with all the amenities.
Other fish that call this river home are Dog or Chum Salmon, Humpey or Pink Salmon, Northern Pike, Rainbow Trout and Artic Grayling.